Posted by Posted by Scott Carbon-Ogden, Product Supervisor Android Video games
Immediately we’re launching the Android Game Development Kit (AGDK), a full vary of instruments and libraries that can assist you develop, optimize, and ship prime quality Android video games.
AGDK options comply with three key tenets:
- Code constructed for recreation growth. All of our libraries have been constructed and examined with efficiency in thoughts utilizing C or C++ APIs.
- Cut back fragmentation. The AGDK instruments and libraries work throughout many alternative Android variations. Most of those options will work on virtually any system in use at present.
- Constructed by Android, for Android. Options will likely be enhanced by future Android platform updates, and the libraries will present backwards compatibility when attainable.
On this preliminary launch, we’re specializing in masking three main areas the place we heard numerous suggestions from our developer neighborhood: Built-in workflows, C/C++ recreation libraries, and efficiency optimization.
Typically, the much less you could swap instruments, the extra environment friendly you will be, so with AGDK, we’re offering new instruments to facilitate Android recreation growth in your major IDE. We’ll deal with the bits of workflow the place Google can add distinctive worth and resolve Android particular issues, whereas being appropriate with whichever elements of your current workflow you’re snug with.
- The Android Game Development Extension provides Android as a platform goal to Visible Studio. This permits current multi-platform Visible Studio recreation initiatives to shortly combine Android as a brand new platform. Study extra in the AGDE session.
- We’re working with a number of the hottest recreation engine builders to combine our instruments and libraries straight, so you possibly can profit from enhanced efficiency and stability with no need to make any modifications.
- The place that’s not attainable, we’ve centered on constructing plugins for game engines such as Unity. These plugins can be found in a single place that can assist you shortly get what you want.
C/C++ recreation libraries
Begin your C growth with much less Java Native Interface (JNI) through the use of our recreation libraries for C/C++ growth. Most video games and recreation engines are written in C++, whereas Android growth usually requires utilizing the Java programming language. Bridging these two languages utilizing a Java Native Interface requires effort and might introduce bugs or efficiency regressions. AGDK will show you how to construct and customise recreation engines by offering C recreation libraries that reduce the usage of the Java Programming language and JNI. This makes your video games simpler to construct, debug, and preserve.
We’re specializing in what you’ve instructed us are your prime frustrations. Initially, this may contain constructing foundational courses for exercise and enter. Long term, we plan to make extra C libraries to offer performance that’s generally used throughout recreation engines. We’re incorporating our current body pacing and high-performance audio libraries into this effort, and including three new ones:
- Game Activity supplies a basis for C++ video games to be constructed on. It supplies C interfaces for all of the Android occasions that you simply’d anticipate, from display rotation to app lifecycle. This manner you possibly can reduce the quantity of growth time you spend within the Java language. Not like Native Exercise, Sport Exercise is appropriate with fragments and extendable, making it simpler to combine a few of your favorite SDKs.
- Game Text input supplies a secure approach to make use of the software program keyboard in C, that’s formally supported and can work throughout Android variations.
- Game Controller is a solution to deal with enter from recreation controllers in C, to map their features and to reconnect to the system when needed.
Study extra about these libraries in our C/C++ libraries session.
To make integration as simple as attainable, you may get all our libraries as a Maven dependency, as a pre-compiled Zip file, or as supply code.
Our purpose is that can assist you discover any stability or efficiency points earlier than launch and monitor your recreation post-launch to catch any points. We’re beginning with crucial metrics like body fee, loading time, and reminiscence, and will likely be together with new metrics over time.
- We’re launching a significant replace to the Android GPU Inspector (AGI), that features body profiling performance. This works alongside the present GPU profiling components that can assist you totally perceive any GPU associated points. AGI is at present in open beta, and you’ll be taught extra in our GPU inspector session.
- We even have a suite of profilers in Android Studio and AGDE for the system, energy, CPU, and our new native reminiscence profiler that recreation devs can use to seek out inefficiencies.
- Android Performance Tuner supplies consumer telemetry. You should use it to see how completely different elements of your recreation carry out and the way your recreation performs throughout completely different gadgets. You might already be utilizing this device for body fee, and now we’re launching a brand new loading time perform. Study extra in our Android Performance Tuner session.
Go to g.co/android/AGDK for our newest sources for Android recreation growth and to obtain the AGDK. Try the mobile session track for the complete lineup of classes from the Google for Video games Developer Summit.