Unnamed sources informed Bloomberg that the White Home will host a gathering between President Joe Biden and a few of the nation’s largest tech corporations on Wednesday afternoon. Based on these sources, the CEOs of Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple have confirmed their attendance. Different giant firms, together with Google, IBM, Southern Firm, and JP Morgan, have been invited.
The assembly is meant to handle the extreme enhance in ransomware, on-line assaults, and data leaks seen this yr. Though we do not know the precise agenda, one senior official aware of the occasion stated discussions of higher provide chain safety are probably, and there’ll most likely be a give attention to software-driven options.
Excessive-profile safety breaches Biden and the tech CEOs may focus on embrace, however should not restricted to:
- This month’s T-Cell server breach, which uncovered as much as 100 million Individuals’ private knowledge
- July’s SolarWinds provide chain attack, which compromised server administration instruments themselves
- July’s large Kaseya ransomware attack—which additionally initially focused a administration device reasonably than the end-victims themselves
- A months-long Geico breach exposing prospects’ driver’s license numbers, addresses, dates of beginning, and so on.
- A misconfigured Experian API that leaked credit score scores of tens of hundreds of thousands of Individuals
- A Could attack that took Colonial Pipeline down, disrupting gas distribution throughout the jap US seaboard
- March attacks focusing on small companies, cities, cities, and native governments by way of Microsoft Change vulnerabilities
- SIM swapping attacks on T-Cell prospects in February, ensuing from a number of of the corporate’s earlier breaches
Bloomberg’s sources solely talked about CEOs, so it is unclear if the CISOs of the invited firms are taking part as nicely.
Neither the White Home nor any of the businesses talked about have responded to press requests for remark.